The content on this blog may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase through these links, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my work!
What’s New with the GoPro HERO12 Black?
As someone who has been closely following the evolution of GoPro cameras, I am eager to share the fresh updates and changes that come with the HERO12 Black. Here’s a breakdown of what’s new and what has been altered from the previous model, the HERO11:
Fresh Additions to Enhance Your Recording Experience
- HDR Video: The HERO12 Black introduces the HDR (High Dynamic Range) video feature, promising more vivid and detailed imagery compared to the previous versions.
- HyperSmooth 6.0: While the specifics remain under wraps, the camera has upgraded its video stabilization to HyperSmooth 6.0, a step up from the 5.0 version in the HERO11, promising even smoother footage.
- Bluetooth Audio Support: A notable addition is the Bluetooth audio support, which allows you to use AirPods and other wireless headphones as microphones, enhancing your vlogging and recording setup.
- Exclusive Compatibility with Max Lens Mod 2.0: The camera works exclusively with the new Max Lens Mod 2.0 accessory, offering an industry-leading 177° field of view in 4K60, a feature that promises to revolutionize your recording experience.
- Extended Continuous Recording: You can now record 2x longer continuously at 5.3K60, enjoy 1.5 hours at 5.3K30, and over 2.5 hours at 1080p30, a significant improvement from the HERO11.
- GP-Log Encoding with LUT: The new GP-Log encoding with LUT allows you to maximize the dynamic range before applying color correction, offering more flexibility in post-production.
Changes in Features and Functionalities
- GPS Removed: In a surprising move, the GPS functionality has been removed in the HERO12 Black, a feature that was present in the HERO11.
- 4:3 Aspect Ratio Removed: The 4:3 aspect ratio option has been removed, limiting the aspect ratio options available for your recordings.
- New TimeCode Sync: A new addition is the TimeCode Sync feature, which allows you to wirelessly synchronize multiple HERO12 Blacks via timecode in the Quik app, promising a seamless multi-camera recording experience.
These updates and changes come together to offer a camera that promises to be a powerhouse in the action camera market, with features that cater to both new and experienced users. It is always exciting to see how GoPro evolves with each new model, and the HERO12 Black certainly brings a lot to the table.
Design and Dimensions
The GoPro HERO12 Black is designed to be both tough and lightweight, ready to withstand any adventure whether on land or water. It has the following dimensions and weight:
- Dimensions: 71.8 W x 50.8 H x 33.6 D (mm)
- With mounting fingers and embedded battery: 154g
- Without battery: 121g
Image and Video Quality
The HERO12 Black boasts an impressive image sensor and offers a range of video resolutions to capture every detail of your adventures. Here are the specifics:
- Image Sensor: 1/1.9″ CMOS
- Field of View: 156° in 8:7 aspect ratio
- Maximum Photo Resolution: 27.13MP (5568×4872)
- Photo Frame-Grabs from Video: 24.69MP from 5.3K video in 8:7
- Video Resolutions & Frame Rates:
- 5.3K (8:7): 30/25/24 FPS
- 5.3K (16:9): 60/50/30/25/24 FPS
- 4K (9:16): 60/50/30/25
- 4K (16:9): 120/100/60/50/30/25/24 FPS
- 2.7K (4:3): 120/100/60/50 FPS
- 2.7K (16:9): 240/200 FPS
- 1080P (9:16): 60/50/30/25
- 1080P (16:9): 240/200/120/100/60/50/30/25/24 FPS
Battery and Power Management
The camera comes with a removable 1720mAh Enduro battery, promising longer runtimes and better performance in cold temperatures. The specifics are as follows:
- Continuous recording at 5.3K60: Up to 70 minutes
- Continuous recording at 5.3K30: Over 1.5 hours
- Continuous recording at 1080p30: Over 2.5 hours
Stabilization and Audio Features
The HERO12 Black introduces the HyperSmooth 6.0 stabilization system, offering smooth footage in various conditions. It also supports new Bluetooth audio functionalities. Here are the details:
- HyperSmooth 6.0 with 360° Horizon Lock
- Built-in Horizon Lock as part of HyperSmooth 6.0
- Bluetooth audio support compatible with AirPods and other wireless headphones
- Audio features include 3-mics, 3.5mm audio mic input with additional accessories, and RAW audio capture in .WAV format
Connectivity and User Interface
The camera offers a range of connectivity options and a user-friendly interface to enhance your experience. The features include:
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
- Voice control supporting 14 commands in 11 languages with 6 accents
- Dual LCD screens for smooth playback and easy selfie framing
The HERO12 Black comes with a variety of additional features to help you capture the perfect shot:
- Waterproof up to 33ft without protective housing
- HDR Video and Photo for more vivid imagery
- Various time-lapse options including TimeWarp, star trails, and light painting
- Compatible with over 50 mounts, mods, and accessories
The GoPro HERO12 Black is priced at $399. It is available for pre-order and is expected to ship on or before September 13, 2023.
This comprehensive overview outlines the key features and specifications of the GoPro HERO12 Black, providing a detailed insight into what the camera has to offer. It stands as a versatile tool for capturing high-quality photos and videos in various environments.
Further Reading: Your Guide to Mastering the GoPro HERO12 Black
As you venture into the vibrant world of GoPro HERO12 Black, there might be features you want to explore in depth or functionalities you wish to master. To aid you in this journey, I have curated a list of articles that delve deeper into the various aspects of this remarkable camera. Here, you will find guides, tips, and expert advice to help you make the most of your GoPro HERO12 Black:
- A Guide to GoPro Voice Commands: Learn about the various voice commands supported by the HERO12 Black and how to use them effectively in our detailed article.
- Finding the GoPro HERO12 Black Manual: Discover where to find the camera manual online and how to navigate it with ease in our helpful guide.
- Find the right memory card for your GoPro HERO12
- Guide to GP-Log: Navigating 10-Bit Log Encoding on the HERO12 Black